It is earth month and I thought it is a good time to have an overview of things we can do in our kitchen to lead a greener life.
- When the oven, make that baby work! How? Using oven takes a lot of energy, it is a good thing to cook a few things at the same time when the oven is on. Unless it’s a cake and you should keep the oven door closed, you can roast your vegetables, while the meat is roasting. Or better make ahead a lot of meals at one time, takes less energy and saves a lot of time on week nights 🙂
- White Vinegar and Baking Soda are the best natural cleaners. No need to spend on commercial cleaners that in plastic bottles.
- Use glass containers with lid to store food, instead of warping plastic wraps on the food plate.
- If you need to use a cover or wrap use the reusable ones like Abeego
- Pack lunch in reusable bags or containers instead of using plastic bags
- Plastic cutlery and paper plates are just additional garbage, washing dishes are a bit hassle but they say it is therapeutic too!!!! 🙂
- Don’t waste food, freeze left overs and create a left over night when you can reheat and few one portion meals to enjoy. Save money and time at the same time!
- Compost if you can, if not there are organizations that take food waste for compost. Need a little bit of research to find about your area’s special deals and programs on compost. Most of the times there is subsidized programs by government.
- If using the dishwasher, make sure that is completely full. And don’t use excessive dishwasher detergent, it will just leave residue!
- Keep your fridge full, amazingly it takes more energy to keep a half empty fridge cold !
These are the 10 items of many that happens in the Busy Mom’s kitchen, please share your kitchen tips to live a greener life.